Recommendations for a new ballerina
My niece asked to do ballet next season instead of hip hop. She will be doing both classical and jazz.
What do you recommend for shoes (leather, canvas, etc) and apparel (leotard (long or short sleeve?), skirt or tutu?, leg warmers or not?), etc. a first year ballet dancer should have in her bag? I want to make sure she has all she could ever need and she has the best of what she should have.
I used to dance ballet, but it’s been soo long that I want to make sure I forget nothing.
1. Ballet shoes: For a beginner class, a full sole leather shoe is a great place to start. Choosing between leather and canvas, full or split sole has a bit to do with the level of dancer and personal preference. Here is a great article from our blog that talks about the differences and will help you make some decisions. Choosing Ballet Slippers >> Shop Children's Ballet Shoes>
2. Jazz shoes: Popular colors are black and tan. The shoes are usually split sole and come in both slip on or tie up versions. Shop Children's Jazz Shoes>
3. Leotards: A couple of leotards in her favorite colors will get you through the season. Leotards that come in tank and short sleeve are often popular for younger dancers. Camisole styles are among the favorites of tweens and teens. Long sleeve is a good option for cooler months. One piece dance dresses with attached skirts are a great option for tiny ballerinas as well. Shop Children's Leotards> Shop Children's Dresses>
4. Tights: Pink footed tights are the classic choice for ballet class. Black and tan are often popular choices for jazz class. Tights are available footed, convertible (can be worn footed or footless), stirrup, and footless. For jazz class students often pull on a pair of dance pants over tights. Shop Children's Tights> Shop Children's Pants>
5. Accessories: Fun accessories for ballet class include pull on skirts or shorts, legwarmers and knit sweaters for the colder days. You can find fun hair accessories like bun covers on our website, and an adorable dance bag to store all her dance goodies. Shop Skirts> Shop Warm Ups> Shop Hair Accessories> Shop Bags>
Happy shopping and feel free to contact us with any additional questions! -AAD Customer Support